The FDA and it’s their First Time!?
Seriously … how much more good news can we take? … Especially if you’re a meat eater … meaning farm animal feed isn’t regulated either … you know cows, pigs, chickens and sheep.
Not sure what to say.
The proposal only comes six years (being cynical) after the biggest pet food recall in history, when a Chinese producer contaminated dog and cat food with melamine, a compound used in plastics, causing the deaths of animals across the United States.
Now, once again, China is in the headlines for producing deadly Jerky Treats and Chews.
You don’t think China wants to kill all of us … do you? Just asking? Scary stuff!
JERKY TREAT RECALLS:
1. Nestle Purina’s: Waggin’ Train Jerky Treats or Tenders
2. Nestle Purina’s: Canyon Creek Ranch Jerky Treats or Tenders
3. Del Monte Corp’s: Milo’s Kitchen Home-Style Dog Treats
4. Del Monte Corp’s: Chicken Griller Home-Style Dog Treats
5. Publix stores recalled their own brand of : Chicken Tenders Dog Chew Treats
6. IMS Pet Industries Inc.: Cadet Brand Chicken Jerky Treats sold in the US
COURTESY OF GLOBALANIMAL.ORG
As a pet owner you may want to consider spending a few extra dollars and buy high quality pet food that’s really, really, truly MADE in the USA. Which BTW … you won’t find at a Walmart, Costco, Target, Sam’s or grocery store … even if the big boys say so. Liars!
We shop at our local Chuck and Don’s Pet Food Outlet and we love Stella and Chewy’s Freeze Dried Chicken mixed with Sojo’s Grain Free Fruits & Veggies … it’s so easy to take on the road and it’s so good for us too! Silky smooth!
Guess mom figures that she’ll buy the best dog food she can afford now, so she won’t have to pay the Vet more $$$ later.
She makes us handmade dog treats, when she can, and loves this basic dog biscuit recipe from Cesar’s Way …
Basic Dog Biscuit Recipe
These basic biscuits can be customized to cater to your canine’s palette!
- 2 ½ cups whole wheat flour (substitute regular flour or oats if your dog is sensitive to wheat)
- 1 tsp. salt (or less)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. Beef or chicken Bouillon granules (can substitute beef or chicken broth/stock)
- ½ cup hot water
Optional Add ins
- Bacon or chicken broth, eggs, oats, liver powder, wheat germ, shredded cheese, bacon bits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Dissolve bouillon in hot water
- Add remaining ingredients
- Knead dough until it forms a ball (approximately 3 minutes)
- Roll dough until ½ inch thick
- Cut into slices or bone shapes (you can purchase a bone shaped cookie cutter to make shapes with)
- Place dough pieces on lightly greased cookie sheet
- Cook for 30 minutes
Food for thought … if your dog farts all the time, has bad breath, loose stools, a dull coat, hot spots or worse … it’s most likely the dog food and dog treats that you’re feeding them.
“THE FOOD WE EAT CAN BE EITHER THE SAFEST & MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST FORM OF POISON.”
- Chinese Jerky Is Killing Our Dogs, Soon Chinese Food Could Kill Us (independentsentinel.com)
- New FDA Warning for Dog Beef Jerky Treats (fox2now.com)
- Local woman says jerky treats killed her dog (krem.com)
- FDA can’t find cause of pet poison, seeks help (bigstory.ap.org)
- Jerky Treats Recall Leaves 600 Pets Dead (webpronews.com)
- FDA Alerts Pet Owners, Vets To Possible Link Between Jerky Treats, Dogs Getting Sick (pittsburgh.cbslocal.com)